Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Re-Build - Coax

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Re-Build - Coax
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 11:04:37 -0700
Both for re-wiring my station and for my project on the new Choke Cookbook, I've purchased roughly 200 ft of RG400, all printed with the label of Harbour Industries. It is relatively stiff, as are other Teflon cables like RG303 and RG142. I terminate the cables with Amphenol 83-1SP connectors and silver-plated reducers. The shield clearly is a double braid, quite dense, and requires effort with a suitable pick to comb out, but with a decent temperature-controlled soldering station, it's quite easy to make excellent solder connections to the shield by folding it back over the reducer and screwing the reducer into the connector body. And I am careful not to nick strands of the center conductor, using a good stripper to do the job.

FWIW, NA6O, an U of Ill EE and very sharp cookie, has been doing a lot to improve N6RO's already quite excellent contesting station, and has been using a lot of RG400 in it. He's bought some from China and has been quite satisfied with it.

73, Jim K9YC