Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Re-Build - Coax

To: Alan Higbie <alan.higbie@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Station Re-Build - Coax
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 20:36:34 -0600
Many years ago, I designed a pulse amplifier for one of the Hubble Space
Telescope instruments. It had a lot of gain and a 100 MHz bandwidth, so I did
the cable shielding calculations, concluding that it needed a double shielded
cable from the detector to the preamp. It was a pain to get the double shields
into the connectors, so the technician used a single shielded cable, assuming I
was just an overly anal engineer. The output was terribly noisy, until we
replaced that cable with the double shielded one. Sometimes it really does make
a difference.

73,
Scott K9MA

Scott Ellington