[CQ-Contest] Station Re-Build - Coax

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Station Re-Build - Coax
From: Alan Higbie <alan.higbie@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 08:59:07 -0600
Relevant to this discussion is an extensive study conducted by US Navy:

THE MITIGATION OF RADIO NOISE AND INTERFERENCE FROM ON-SITE SOURCES
at RADIO RECEIVING SITES (November 2009) by Wilbur R. Vincent, George F.
Munsch, Richard W. Adler, Andrew A. Parker.  (By the way, each of the
study's authors is a ham.)

The authors surveyed noise floor problems at 40 Navy receiving sites around
the world.  They drew on data from thee Navy's
Signal-to-Noise-Enhancement-Project.

They had many recommendations and conclusions.   But the most relevant to
the original question of this thread is this one:

*"5.3 Cable Leakage*
*Leakage of noise and other spectral components into RF cables running from
antennas to receivers has been noted at all receiving sites that use
single-shielded coaxial cables. Receiving sites using high-quality
double-shielded coaxial cable and properly-assembled coaxial connectors
seldom encounter cable-leakage problems."  *

I am currently in the midst of replacing my "single-shielded coax" with
"high-quality double-shielded" RG400.

I recently purchased 200 feet of Harbour Industries RG400 from Electro
Enterprises, Inc. for  $1.43 per foot. It came with certification as
factory new MFG certificate.

A link to the US Navy study can be found at:
http://www.arrl.org/radio-frequency-interference-rfi
(scroll down to bottom of page under heading Naval Postgraduate School RFI
Handbooks)

73, Alan K0AV
alan.higbie@gmail.com