Re: [CQ-Contest] Origin of 3830 Score Reporting

To: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>, Dave <k2xr@ptd.net>, cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Origin of 3830 Score Reporting
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2019 10:22:39 -0400
Date: 3/18/19  7:09 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: Dave <k2xr@ptd.net>, cq-contest
<cq-contest@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Origin of 3830 Score
Reporting I remember 3830 and the score exchanges after the contests as far
back as 1975 just after I got my General.  It grew exponentially in popularity
over the next 1 – 2 years. At one point there were so many scores and
breakdowns being given that a de facto “net control” would take them with
relays from the Midwest and West coasts.  On one occasion the propagation was
so bad and the muf so low that there was no groundwave and a W6 station
actually took the scores from the East coast!   Often the score taking process
would be 30 min to an hour and guys would qsy off freq. to discuss them more
specifically – much to the delight of the pig farmers.  :-)It was THE place to
be after the contest – the radio equivalent of the contest club hospitality
suites at the Admiral Benbow hotel.73Bob  KQ2MFrom: Dave via CQ-Contest Sent:
Monday, March 18, 2019 5:43 PMTo: cq-contest Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Origin
of 3830 Score Reporting>>What's the origin of sharing claimed scores and "war
stories" on 3830 kHz after a contest? When did it start? Who started it?
Thanks.>     Bruce,      Perhaps W3LPL or KR2Q could go back further than my
recollection as could others but: When I started doing M/M operations in the
late 70's, all the big MM and MS groups would get together on 3830 immediately
after the contest ended, and exchange numbers. It was obvious to me then that
this was not something new, but the expected end to a fun/competitive weekend.
   An excellent example of this was captured in the film "To Win the World"
which has been mentioned in this reflector on several occasions. The exchange
between N2AA and W2PV and (W3LPL edited out) operators at the end of the flick
was a live capture of their 3830 conversation as soon as the tallying by hand
of QSO's and Mults of written logs took place and numbers computed on trusty HP
pocket calculators, or scrawled on a legal pad with a #2 pencil.     Looking
forward to other replies.Dave
 mailing
listCQ-Contest@contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest