[CQ-Contest] "Serious" Contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] "Serious" Contesting
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 22:11:09 -0700
On 5/4/2019 5:45 AM, RT Clay wrote:
It depends on your definition of "major": CW decoders are prohibited in CQWW
contests for single ops;

It sure does -- CQWW may be the dumbest of all contests with a large number of stations active. For the majority of participants, the logging program fills in the exchange, and it's a one or two-digit number unique to most countries! All the op has to do is copy the call. ARRL DX is almost as dumb -- the exchange one of several cute ways to state TX power, or common state/provinces abbreviations.

W6JTI and I just worked 7QP from three county line setups in NV. The exchange is a five letter abbreviation for the county and state, there are about 275 counties, so nothing is familiar, and the station I'm working has to copy both counties which the ear hears as random characters with a slash in between. THAT'S a test of operating skill. As for our end of it -- we operated portable from three locations, driving 200 miles from the first to the last, setting up and tearing down a two-station antenna setup at each, starting at 6am and finishing at midnight.

CQWW and ARRL DX are child's play by comparison.

73, Jim K9YC