Re: [CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting

To: Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting
From: ku8e <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 23:58:51 -0400
So I guess could you could argue that posting your planned operation on
something like NG3K is soliciting contacts? You are doing this on the internet.
Also when someone spots you on the DX Cluster someone else is soliciting
contacts for you. How many times have you spotted someone on the DX cluster who
is a friend of yours operating from the islands? I think everyone has at some
point or another. I really see no harm in doing any of this. Same with doing a
livestream. I think the intent for those who do this is to promote contesting.
Personally I don't like or operate SOA but it's too late in the game to ban it.
You also have to take into consideration that many people who operate DX
contests aren't really hardcore contesters.I'm pretty sure that W2RE's
livestream was to promote RHR and not to try to get some competitive advantage.
JeffSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: 3/11/20  6:06 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: cq-contest@contesting.com Subject: Re:
[CQ-Contest] Merging Social Media and Contesting I am not a lawyer-but pretty
sure this is against the rules in most contests(soliciting QSO's outside and
during the competition) Anyways. we should all be asking ourselves what was the
motivation ofposting this video in real time VS. waiting until after the log
submittaldeadline!? (ie: If I was DX and thought *MAYBE* I worked W2RE, but
wasn'tsure, I could always review the video(log scrubbing) (or watch it in
realtime-cheating; doesn't take place on the air). As for Ray advertising for
RHR.maybe/maybe not.that doesn't impact directlyon his score per se, so I don't
care about that. I'm not against Social Media..I'm on there I have learned lots
about some ofyou and love the interaction between us, but I don't think it
belongs in aradio COMPETITON/contest.  Shouldn't Radiosport events be limited
to ON-AIR interactions?  (or is itnow an Internet-Radio competition?) Let's
review the rules shall we?  Who's up for that? BTW, I am all for RHR and what
Ray is doing. I understand he's a good guy,doing good work, providing a good
service for pay.  My comments are strictlyabout the competition itself and
rules.  MIKE VE9AA Mike, Coreen & CoreyKeswick Ridge, NB