RE: [Karlnet] higher power cards, what works, what doesn't

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] higher power cards, what works, what doesn't
From: "barrywhitcomb" <barrywhitcomb@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 12:24:48 -0400
All Clear has been testing two 200 mW cards purchased from MikroTik at
our first tower--cell tower 300', Comet 12.4 dbi Omni antenna, YDI power
amp is also on top (15 dbi gain))--we are running Turbocell ISB Base.

We have been swapping an Orinoco with with Prism 200 mW in Turbocell
base--both seem to run fine, the Prism does help signal but not
substantially (since YDI power amp is installed to boost signal, and it
will clip if overdriven).

The Prism card noticably improves the equation on the CPE end. Earlier
in the week we tested the Orinoco and the Prism using the same antennas
(8dbi Patch and 13 dbi Yagi). The Prism is working substantially
better--stronger signal and better readings (especially with the 8 dbi
patch).

A lot of this signal measurement was in 802.11b mode (but not all). Some
was in TC. I'll publish numbers soon.

Bottom Line: We haven't seen any problems yet w/200 mW and they have an
FCC number on the card. We intend to continue testing over the weekend.

Barry Whitcomb
Quantum Success, Inc. / All Clear
265 Paces Lakes Drive
Dallas, GA 30157