RE: [Karlnet] Security: APII, CPE and laptop

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Security: APII, CPE and laptop
From: "Charles Chia Sheng Wu" <cwu@cwlab.net>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 18:22:00 -0500
>Just when you think you have caught up someone throws in a wrench  ;)

tha's life

>So while the equipment is 802.11b KarlNet Turbocell  changes it to
>something else?

yes, TurboCell is a proprietary protocol optimized for the outdoor WISP
the best analogy, in terms of how KarlNet works on the hardware, is
operating systems

think of the stock Lucent hardware as a computer

most computers come w/ Windows (e.g., the standard Lucent firmware)
TurboCell is like another OS that can be loaded on the computer (e.g.,
Linux, Sun, etc)

>Back to he original ?, Do I need to configure my Karlnet AP to prevent
>unauthrized use?

it's up to you - coming default, you have 15 network IDs, 11 channels, and
the system access pass phrase in KarlNet that will uniquely identify your
system

if you want, you can add WEP, MAC address filtering, etc

really your choice, but in your situation, I don't think it's that necessary
(at least for now)

-Charles