[Karlnet] Warning about AGERE....

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: [Karlnet] Warning about AGERE....
From: "Larry Yunker" <leyunker@cbcast.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:11:37 -0500
We have dozens of RG1000's deployed to our subscriber base.  But, we have a few
RG1000's that came back from customers over the last few months with various
problems... some won't light up at all, some have bad ethernet ports, one just
buzzes when you plug it in.

Anyway, we purchased most of these units in December 2001.  Agere is refusing
to accept them for replacement/repair under warranty or otherwise.

We were informed three reasons that they are disputing these warranty claims:
1) Some of the units were purchased from an Avaya authorized vendor... not from
Agere... so even though they have Agere labels, they are Avaya's problem?!?
2) The units had KARLNET installed on them... they claim just loading Karlnet
firmware invalidates the warranty!
3) Some of the units were purchased at signicant discount on special pricing
that happened for about a week around Christmas last year.... Agere claims that
we paided too little for them and the units were too old to be warranted.
Everything I see in their docs state that the warranty is based on
date-of-purchase, not based on date of inventory!!!

Anyway, I just needed to vent.  Sorry, but BEWARE... Agere is denying warranty
claims for products that were purchased less than one year ago from an
authorized vendor as NEW sealed units and the units all have AGRERE labels on
them!  I think this is wrong and MUST be spoken out against.  I also feel that
Karlnet should REALLY get on Lucent about denying warranty based on having
Karlnet firmware!

Sincerely,
Larry Yunker
General Manager
Cyber Broadcasting, L.L.C.
Larry.Yunker@cbcast.com

P.S. For the record, the Avaya vendor that sold us these units is being VERY
helpful in fighting Agere on this.