RE: [Karlnet] Warning about AGERE....

To: <karlnet@wispnotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Warning about AGERE....
From: "Charles Chia Sheng Wu" <cwu@cwlab.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:15:38 -0500
>We have dozens of RG1000's deployed to our subscriber base.  But, we have a
few RG1000's that came back from customers over >the last few months with
various problems... some won't light up at all, some have bad ethernet
ports, one just buzzes when >you plug it in.

>Anyway, we purchased most of these units in December 2001.  Agere is
refusing to accept them for replacement/repair under
>warranty or otherwise.

that's b/c the special was sold as an Avaya special - you need to go to
Avaya

>We were informed three reasons that they are disputing these warranty
claims:
>1) Some of the units were purchased from an Avaya authorized vendor... not
from Agere... so even though they have Agere
>labels, they are Avaya's problem?!?

yes, you need to deal w/ Avaya about this (it gets confusing)

>2) The units had KARLNET installed on them... they claim just loading
Karlnet firmware invalidates the warranty!

you should flash them w/ the standard RG kernel, then they won't know better
<g>

>3) Some of the units were purchased at signicant discount on special
pricing that happened for about a week around Christmas >last year.... Agere
claims that we paided too little for them and the units were too old to be
warranted.  Everything I see >in their docs state that the warranty is based
on date-of-purchase, not based on date of inventory!!!

that is correct, however, you need to go to Avaya about this

>Anyway, I just needed to vent.  Sorry, but BEWARE... Agere is denying
warranty claims for products that were purchased less >than one year ago
from an authorized vendor as NEW sealed units and the units all have AGRERE
labels on them!  I think this >is wrong and MUST be spoken out against.  I
also feel that Karlnet should REALLY get on Lucent about denying warranty
based >on having Karlnet firmware!

although the units have Agere labels, they were purchased under an Avaya
special, so you need to go to Avaya about this

>P.S. For the record, the Avaya vendor that sold us these units is being
VERY helpful in fighting Agere on this.

note - this wasn't me, I just wanted to try to clear things up a bit

-Charles