RE: [Karlnet] Strange retransmit problem

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Strange retransmit problem
From: "Kevin Knuth" <kknuth@karlnet.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 08:42:21 -0500
All,

I waited for a response from our engineers before I made comment about this
issue. Here is what I found out:

Most likely there is a noise issue with a particular satellite and thus the
transmit/receive has problems and TurboCell keeps polling the same satellite
until it can send its packet out. This could be due to an outside noise
source. When you lower the speed then the radio's sensitivity increases and
it can receive better.

We are often asked why the numbers in the Wireless Link test and TurboCell
station entries are different.  This is because the Warless Link test is an
802.11 test and the radios can do auto-fallback which causes the link to
report a stronger signal than TurboCell can as we disable auto-fallback.  So
even though the Wireless link test could show a very strong signal, it may
only be set at 1!

TurboCell tries to keep all satellites online and not lose packets.

We could, theoretically, change TurboCell so that it does not wait for a
satellite with problems such as noise, but moves on to others if it can't
transmit in say 5 or 10 trials.