RE: [Karlnet] linux turbocell satellite compatibility?

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] linux turbocell satellite compatibility?
From: Thomas Giger TGC <thomas.giger@tgc.de>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 14:40:42 +0200
I guess I should give a more in-depth explanation of the TC Linux driver -
Kevin is usually helpful, but he is also quite short in his answers (no
offense meant, must be a result from the number of questions he answers
daily).

With the standard Orinoco wavelan2_cs driver, you get a binary library file
which you link with the card services C driver. The TC driver does the same,
except that you get another binary library which handles the TC part in
addition to the standard binary library. The C part of the driver is a
somewhat modified version of the standard 6.10 driver. The result is a
wavelan2_cs.o module which includes the TC part. Yes, it uses the same name
and it can also run in native 802.11b mode.

> - can linux TC sat be used on kernel 2.4.20?

No. We've found that it is compatible with (RedHat-only?) kernels up to
2.4.9. Maybe some later ones too, but not 2.4.18 or .20. In addition to
that, results also depend on your Gnu CC version. The newer CCs also cause
runtime PANICs. This is probably due to alignment issues or even different
structure definitions which the binary library part doesn't know about. This
is the drawback of providing a binary component.

> - does it replace the pcmcia driver (orinoco_cs? hostap_cs?)
> entirely or what?

The TC driver comes bundled with the two binary libraries and its own
modified wavelan2_cs.c source. It might be possible to backport these
modifications into other drivers, but the binary parts will have to remain
in place.

> - does it work with prism pccards or only with orinoco pccards?

We didn't test that, but part of the answer is whether the original
wavelan2_cs (C and binary library) would do that. If they support Prism, the
additional TC binary may compatible or not ...

> - how big is it? (to see if it will fit on the limited flash
> space we have)

The TC enhanced wavelan2_cs.o module is 78537 bytes (with our kernel and
compiler).

> - does it work with prism PCI cards like Linksys WMP11 PCI?

Dunno, sorry.

> - is it capable of doing point to point or only
> satellite<>base connectivity?

It does satellite <> base. We haven't tried any of the other Turbocell modes
- probably because there is no config option that indicates it could be
done. Also, the TC driver, after coming up, starts looking for a base
station. So I guess: NO PTP (unless you mean a PMP link with only one
satellite ;-)

> any info/FAQ/pointers/even RTFM would be greatelly appreciated

If there was any useful information, we wouldn't have had to spend so much
time with the driver. As it seems, Karlnet will not modify it so it works
with decent/recent Linux kernels. I have to assume too that Karlnet will not
support 802.11a/g cards on TC with Linux. Well, please prove me wrong.

For TGNET/wireless, we need to have a CPE which has to do all kinds of
routing, NATting, asymmetric bandwidth shaping, IPSEC VPN tricks,
accounting, OSPF and more. With Karlnet providing their own CPE but no newer
TC driver, we'll probably go to a split IDU/ODU solution. That is, we'll
have a Linux box with 2 Fast Ethernet ports that is daisy-chained off the
Karlnet CPE.

regards,
--
true global communications GmbH