[Karlnet] Outdoor FlashROM ???

Subject: [Karlnet] Outdoor FlashROM ???
From: "Steve Deaton" <steve@texasbb.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:32:26 -0500
I wanted to inquire about who'd be interested (if anybody) in an outdoor
FlashROM unit.  I know the unit will be subject to extreme heat (which
we will be testing in Texas) and we have all expressed concerns about
having a unit with fans to fail, but I think we have a solution.  We are
building an outdoor enclosure with a thermal electric cooling system to
keep the PC cool even outdoors.  The most interesting part is that there
will be a relay connected to the CPU of the motherboard that will shut
power off to the entire unit once a specified temp is exceeded.  Our
goal is to create a unit that will survive the extreme heat even with a
1.3GHz CPU, but also provide the security of an auto-off relay in case a
fan dies or the box gets too hot.  The box will have an internal UPS,
external n-type & Ethernet fittings, and a view window for the FlashROM
LED unit.  I will keep everyone posted on the performance/reliability,
but am interested to see what volume of interest exists.  Thank you.

Steve Deaton