[Karlnet] Transfer Rates

Subject: [Karlnet] Transfer Rates
From: jna <jna@tcpbbs.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:43:07 -0500
Hello Group,

I am trying to diagnose bad transfer rates in my network and started at
square 1. We have an RG1000 SAT shooting a 3MB/S feed to a central relay
tower only about 1 mile from the datacenter (-47db Signal). The central
relay is running on kn-200 BASE. When I connect to the relay point via my
laptop I am lucky to see 800K to 1.2MB/S over the net transfers. Using the
ping fill utility I measure that the transfer rates from the RG1000 SAT to
the KN-200 is an average of 3.2 with a max of 3.6MB/S over the air.
According to the ping fill this should should be sufficent to cary my 3MB/S
feed  but I am not seeing it at the central relay not even half of it.

I asked Karlnet support about it and they said that is normal because the
ping fill shows round trip so my 3.2 to 3.6MB/S transfer to the relay point
should on support 1.6 to 1.8MB/S one way (Even though there not even seeing
that much). I questioned this and never received a reply back. On our main
tower which is still on a T1 I have my home connection to the main tower via
ping fill shows my average transfer time of 1,271,009 and max of 1,484,160.
Now if we took the half duplex analogy to mean this result is round trip and
my connection according to ping fill and karlnet should only handle 630K -
742K either up or down, correct? But if this is true then why is it I can
register on the bandwidth testing sites using this same connection double
that actually about what the ping fill says? My average over the net
connection rating is 1.2MB/S ... Does anyone else have any information on
the actuall ping fill and if it even works right at all? If the above is
true then my 3.2-3.6MB/S link to the relay is accurate should get me my
3MB/S feed there with no problem.

I cant get answers from karlnet support, does anyone have a clue here?

Is anyone else using Karlnet for backhauling locations? Are you able to
backhaul more than a T1?

Thank You,
John