RE: [Karlnet] Broadcast storms

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] Broadcast storms
From: "Martin Madsen" <martin@belairinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 19:50:43 -0700
We do not use karlnet AP's for any routing. On the bigger community
networks we route using Cisco 2610 (they are so cheap now) the reason
not to use karlnet for routing is that im not sure how much processor
power there is left on the KN-100 or 200 boards after running the
polling algorithm on 45 clients. We have just started implementing their
5.8 GHz solution and found that throughput is avg. 20Mbit total. @ 54 -
48 and 36 Mbit signaling. This is, according to karlnet due to lack of
processor and bus speed. U have to build ur own using flash modules then
you might see 30Mbit total.

I suggest you segment on a per base station basis with all clients
NAT'ing except for the once with public ips (use SOHO routers if you are
running a KN-50 setup). Then have a Cisco or whatever you prefer sitting
behind the AP doing the routing. What are you using for your backhaul?
Maybe you can avoid the router if your backhaul gear has routing
capabilities.

Regards,

Martin Madsen

PH:(818) 380-8170