RE: [Karlnet] What are we all going to do for CPE's?

Subject: RE: [Karlnet] What are we all going to do for CPE's?
From: "Andy Henckel" <ahenckel@transaria.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:27:18 -0600
All,

We are using the 1000 series Base unit.  The system is configured such that you
assign the BS ID, Freq, IP address, and config file and the unit will associate
to the base and pull the rest of the configuration from TFTP server.  It has
web based management as well as the installation tool for configuring. They are
working on integrating more controls and configurations tools into the web
interface.
Aperto is also nice in that it only uses 6 MHz channel width at most.   It is
also configurable down to 1 MHz channel width.  You can configure QOS for each
SU and base it on MAC if you wish.   Aperto also automatically attenuates the
signal levels, so you never over power the base unit.
The last firmware upgrade we did dropped latency 10ms across the board. :)
Aperto support is wonderful to work with, and they really know their stuff.
They also have 24 hr support.

Ok.. so now the down side:
Aperto requires 1 Ethernet and 1 coax cable to be run, radio control and RF
interface.   (I am told that one of their foremost priorities currently is to
combine the indoor and outdoor units into one device, and lose the need for the
coax cable. I am also told that when this hardware change occurs, the price
should drop 300-400$ on the Subscriber unit.)
Support beyond the initial warranty period, must be paid for with a service
agreement.  Our intentions are to keep a surplus stock for when problems arise.
The base station can be pricey.

All in all, we have been very successful and very happy with their product.   I
think most problems have arisen from poorly terminated Coax, or lightning
proximity. ( although we now have installed lightning protection on all units.)

Andy