Re: [Orion] Heresy

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Heresy
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:23:53 -0500
One other thing I should have mentioned in the previous reply is that my
Orion may not be working properly.  Ever since I've upgraded to v.
1.372, the rig has been behaving erratically.  I often find myself
losing received audio.  It's quite apparent when operating PSK31 because
the drop-off is visible on the spectrum display.  It has happened many
times.  Off/On usually restores normal audio.

I also have had problems with the display.  On two occasions recently
after the rig has been shut down for several days or more, the display
was empty.  There was a raster (the screen was lit), but there were no
characters.  The first time this happened, I did a master reset and the
screen returned to normal.  On a second occasion, I did multiple master
resets without success.  I then decided to let he rig just sit with the
power on for several hours, and the characters finally appeared.  I have
also noticed that the characters fade when I'm keying in CW, but I'm
confident that it's not an RFI problem.  Someone said that Paul at
TenTec service recommended grounding the negative terminal of Astron and
similar supplies to the chassis.  (I am using an RS-70 here for both the
Orion and MP.)  Yaesu has suggested the same remedy for chirpy CW notes
on the MP.  (They also recommend a 0.01 uF capacitor across the
terminals and soldering the connections to the fuse holder in the power
cable.)  I haven't gotten around to checking out that recommendation,
but things had been OK for a year without any mods to the power supply.

73, Joe