RFI

[RFI] Computer RFI problem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Computer RFI problem
From: nwtncc@iswt.com (James Hall)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 16:55:24 -0500
Hi Jim:

You may just be right about other things in the house generating RFI,
however, a grand majority of my problem went away by just turning the
computer off.  This being the case, proximity to the antenna coax to the
computer is the big problem.  Short of doing away with the computer (not
an option), I agree with Ian that the coax shield is primarily picking
this up.  His point was that this energy goes retrograde up to the
antenna and then sends it back down the center conductor.  I believe
this energy goes both retrograde and antegrade, as I did notice
decreased intensity of the interference by adding a 'line isolator' (a
current balun by Antenna Works) at the antenna switch.  This did allow
signals to be heard which could not be heard before, so I don't think
I'm adding loss there, just choking the antegrade interference.  But
your point is well taken as I have noticed that when I approach the
house listening to AM in my truck, there is much signal loss and
interference.

Jamie
WB4YDL