RFI

[RFI] BPL alternatives

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] BPL alternatives
From: n4zr at contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri Aug 15 15:39:47 2003
At 03:00 PM 8/15/03 -0400, WA2BPE wrote:

>And cell phones - ah, yes - was once again amazed at hearing an ABC (or was it
>CBS?) reporter in NYC last nite express ignorance as to why the cell
>systems were
>down.  Even here, where the power outage was spotty (I got lucky -
>literally lost
>it completely for less than 5 min. + 30 min. or so of wild fluctuations),
>some cell
>systems were down for hours.

Interesting -- on ABC this morning it was stated as given that the cellular
telephone system is sized to support 20 percent of the subscribers in a
given cell actually using the system at a given moment; the report said
that last night downtown NY cells were at closer to 80 percent of
subscribers attempting calls simultaneously.

I just don't see an economic argument for BPL -- the same people who now
can't get DSL, or cable internet, and who don't chose to go satellite, make
up the hardest-to-serve, most-scattered constituency you can imagine.  How
the power companies can think that points to a 50 percent market
penetration, ever, is beyond me.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated August 4.
123 stations were added or updated.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm