RFI

[RFI] BPL alternatives

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] BPL alternatives
From: kelly at thejohnsons.ws (N6KJ)
Date: Fri Aug 15 16:36:15 2003
You don't think the power companies are content with selling BPL only
to "people in the boonies" do you?  The "we only want to serve the country
by providing broadband to all those poor souls that don't live close to
an urban area" mantra is just a marketing pitch used to get the FCC to allow
deployment.  I hate to say it, but it's not much different from contesters
using the "emergency communications" mantra to justify installation of 80
foot towers with multiple monobanders on top on small suburban lots :-)  The
minute BPL deployment is allowed, power companies are headed straight for
the "big markets" to try to woo subscribers away from DSL and cable modems.
They know where the real $$$'s are.

BTW (and maybe Ed Hare can answer this), are the BPL test sites in suburban
or rural areas?  I may be wrong, but I'll bet they are in suburban
areas.  I'm sure the "chicken farmers of America" aren't part of this
test bed :-)