RFI

RE: [RFI] Bush and BPL

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [RFI] Bush and BPL
From: dj2001@mn.rr.com
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 03:52:41 -0600
only
they will involve broadband wireless access points and future
technology.  I  don't believe this is showing up on anyone's radar
screen yet.

They tried that around here and the company went BR. The boxes with the little antennas are still hanging on the light standards. i should get a pix and post it just for fun.

I have my doubts the local power company will invest in this technology, they have enough trouble keeping the lines up, they've cut maint to the bone according to the line guys I've talked to, although a contract company has just completed a tree trimming project in the area keeping tree limbs from bringing the power system down in storms. I have very little power line noise here now in fact this is the quietest it's been in years, knock on wood. They have in the past responded well for noise complaints so I give the power company credit for that. They have a line truck and operator which has the all the noise detecting equipment and they do work with the customer very well. Maybe they would be the same with BPL although looking for rf noise I would think would be quite different from a noisy insulator.

We already have DSL and cable. The cable is 44.95 per month which I'm a subscriber, it's very reliable. This price has remained the same now for a few years. DSL is available but I think it would be a little more money for a lot slower performance. I think cable modems rule here in the city. Out state is another matter where I think most are using dialup. Perhaps this is where BPL might have a chance, in rual areas, but even there it would be a risky investment for a power company that must show cause to the state regulatory for even a little rate increase at least around here, in my opinion. The local power company stock has been struggling.

I'm sure I am missing a simple answer, but why cant BPL be in the Ghz range, say 15 Ghz or even 1 Ghz, why must it be in the Hf region?

I keep dreaming some clever ham operator will put on their thinking cap and find a technical solution to this BPL problem of potential interference to other services.

73
Dale