RFI

Re: [RFI] Metricom wireless network

To: dj2001@mn.rr.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Metricom wireless network
From: David Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 16:11:29 -0500
What would you like to know about Metricom? I'm one of a few guys that is re-lighting the network here in VA. The company is back. They have turned up Ricohet in Denver, San Diego and looking at some of the other 17 major metro areas.

73,
dave
wa3gin

dj2001@mn.rr.com wrote:

Ok, I went up to one of the boxes hanging from the street light and wrote down the name with the aid of my Nikon binoculars. It is by Metricom. Check out the link below.

http://news.com.com/2100-1033-269362.html?legacy=cnet

Dale

Hi John, dident recognize you with the new/old call.

The boxes according to the power company guys I talked to are not the same ones for reading the meters. They are bigger square metal units mounted on power poles, these are small white things hanging from the light standards with antennas hanging under them, unless I was fed some incorrect information. I should take my binoculars out and read the lable underneath and take a picture too. By the way how do the meters get the signal to the receivers? I don't see an antenna anywhere on my meter.

Dale

Hi Dale -

I believe the boxes you are referring to are very much in use for their
designed purpose - remote reading of utility meters.

73,

John W0DC