RFI

Re: [RFI] Computer monitor RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Computer monitor RFI
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 13:27:57 -0700 (PDT)
Good luck.  So much for the FCC's Part 15 radiation limits!  As all of us
around here know...they're nowhere near sufficient to prevent interference
to HF users.

Your first mistake was buying Sony.  It's pretty much well known around here
that Sony (televisions esp.) is one of the worst vendors in terms of
RFI.

Your best bet is to junk it and get a new monitor.  Find one that doesn't
cause this type of problem.

BTW, I have the same problem with a ViewSonic 21" monitor.  Fortunately,
the noise "birdies" are about 30 or 40 Khz apart so I usually just turn
the monitor off if I'm trying to hear a station at the "birdie" frequency.
Nothing I've tried seems to eliminate the noise.  It's about S7 or S8
for me.  Ferrites on the video line AND AC line didn't cure it.

Good luck.