RFI

Re: [RFI] Mobile amps and vehicle issues

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mobile amps and vehicle issues
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:26:04 -0600
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:34:00 -0500, FoMoCo EMC wrote:

>The Crown Vics for police duty do have a number of differences in them for
>safety, convenience of mounting police accessories, and they are required to
>protect for radio reception in the radio bands above 30 MHz.

>Performance below 30 MHz isn't any better because of the police package.
>There is a big difference 20 meter amateur reception and public service
>VHF/UHF reception.  The two services are separated by an order of magnitude
>in frequency

<SNIP>

>Good radio performance above 30 MHz doesn't guarantee good performance below
>30 MHz.

I agree completely, BUT the commonly accepted definition of "an order of
magnitude" is a decade of frequency -- 10:1. The difference between the 20
meter
band and public safety frequencies at low VHF (30-40 MHz) that are still used
in
some jurisdictions is only a bit more than 2:1 (that is, a bit more than an
octave). The 10:1 difference does, of course, apply to the high VHF (150-170
MHz) and UHF (450 and up) allocation.