RFI

Re: [RFI] Mobile amps and vehicle issues

To: "Howard Lester" <hlester@mmto.org>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mobile amps and vehicle issues
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:05:21 -0500
> >   1. Route cables and coax away from EVERYTHING.
>
> Mike, this is where I stopped with an attempt at an
installation of a simple
> 2-meter 50w unit. What is "everything?"

That's not the best advice when I think about it. I can
ty-wrap two cheap pieces of Radio Shack coax together
tightly for 30 feet, and I can't measure the crosstalk on a
80-90 dB dynamic range test set.

By far most of the RF following leads like coax comes from
poor grounds at the antenna. It can be cured by using good
ground bonding at the antenna base or beads over the cables
near the antenna feedpoint.

73 Tom