RFI

Re: [RFI] Finding noise source

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Finding noise source
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.s.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:07:00 -0400
Yuri,

I would try a portable AM broadcast radio, if the noise is there in the AM
band.   Just walking around the neighborhood and looking for maximum
loudness might be sufficient.  You can also use the directivity of the
common ferrite BC antenna to home in. They have a sharp null in response
along their axis.  But this might not work if the source is distributed.
E.g., if there's a source in your neighbor's house, but it is coupled to the
outside power lines. You wouldn't get a good null.

73 Martin AA6E

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Yuri <ve3dz@rac.ca> wrote:

> For a couple of years now, I am suffering from terrible noise at my place
> which covers pretty much all HF bands when it's on.
> You may listen to it here: http://www.rigexpert.net/noise.wav
> The noise seems like a power line one, and it stays on for days, but
> sometimes (very seldom though) when I listen to the bands in the morning
> before going to work, the noise is not there, which makes me think that
> this
> might not be the power line noise.
> I can easily determine the direction where it's peaking from - my
> neighbour's house, but this is also a direction to the street power lines.
> Since I only have one tower with rotatable beam (TH6DXX), I decided to
> built
> 4 element 2 m yagi and try to determine the bearing from outside of my
> front
> yard, using IC746 radio on 2 meters. But, either the sensitivity of the
> receiver on 2 meters is not enough, or the noise itself is not strong on 2
> meters, I can not tell by looking on S-meter, where the noise is coming
> from - S-meter stays on "0" all the time though the noise is still audible.
> The question is, what would you recommend me to use as a "noise finding"
> device? I don't really have enough time to build something complicated. I
> have to find out either it's power line noise, or the one coming from my
> neighbour's.
> Thanks in advance for the tips.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yuri  VE3DZ