RFI

Re: [RFI] Finding noise source

To: Yuri <ve3dz@rac.ca>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Finding noise source
From: Colman Ahern <Smokey@ziplink.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:26:47 -0700
If you think the noise is coming from your neighbours house, use a portable am
radio on a
weak signal or tune it to an empty part of the band, the lower the receiver
sensitivity
the better.  If the house is the source, the closer you get to it the stronger
the noise
signal.  Try bringing the radio near any exposed metal water pipes, gas meter,
electric
meter, cable tv input line, even the front door bell on the house.

This worked for me a few months ago when I had a really loud beeping noise
which covered
approx. 2-29Mhz, about 80 beeps per sec, touching the front door bell switch on
the house
with the radio's whip antenna produced the strongest signal, it almost knocked
the
headphones off my head!

I think the noise was from some kind of automatic battery charger which had
been left
switched on, perhaps still connected to a fully-charged battery, or maybe just
not in use
but still switched on.  I had thought that the noise source was a CODAR Radar
station
which had been installed on the Berkeley Marina, wrong source.

Colman Ahern.
Berkeley, Calif.