RFI

Re: [RFI] Finding noise source

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Finding noise source
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:03:45 -0700
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:48:55 -0400, Yuri wrote:

> I decided to built
>4 element 2 m yagi and try to determine the bearing from outside
>of my front yard, using IC746 radio on 2 meters.

In general, you need to get MUCH closer to the noise source to find
it on VHF (and you should be listening with an AM detector, if
possible).  The antenna that is radiating the signal you hear on HF
is long -- usually, but not always, a power line, and it may a
rather long section of the power line.

The VHF component of that signal will be radiated by a small part
of the antenna close to the noise source, and the VHF component may
be a lot weaker than the VHF component. To find it, you may need to
hook up a small yagi to a talkie and do some walking. It could be
pretty far away (a mile or so), so to get close, you might want to
drive around your neighborhood with a radio in your car and a mag
mount antenna. A 746 works very well in a car -- I've driven from
Chicago to San Francisco with one in the passenger seat!

Don't expect to find this noise on 2M from your home QTH. It COULD
happen, but it's unlikely.

73,

Jim K9YC