RFI

Re: [RFI] Big Farad versus Hybrid Caps?

To: doc@kd4e.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Big Farad versus Hybrid Caps?
From: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 22:24:17 -0400
On 6/19/2009 4:06 PM, kd4e wrote:

> I need to manage the load-spikes from a SSB modulated HF signal
> through a solid state RF amp.
>
> Rather than two $190. 90lb batteries I can use one large battery and
> one Hybrid cap and in my intermittent load application be in good
> shape.
>
> Yes?

No. The cap is of no benefit for the dynamic load application

Because of its relatively high equivalent series resistance, an
electrochemical capacitor cannot discharge quickly enough to help supply
some of the current needed on voice peaks.

Used in a car, an electrochemical cap is effective at keeping the
headlamps from dimming because the filaments in the lamps respond
slowly. But in that application, such a device doesn't prevent the car
stereo (or radio) from seeing the same voltage fluctuations under
modulation. That's why these super capacitors for car audio systems are
all hype; it's the wrong application for this technology.

73,
Mike K1MK