RFI

Re: [RFI] Update on the Boston area RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Update on the Boston area RFI
From: Don Moman VE6JY <ve6jy.1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 21:07:08 +0000
Utility companies routinely use hammers as part of their on going pole
testing procedure.  A 22 oz framing hammer is used to contact the pole in
each of 4 quadrants ranging from as high as the person can reach and down to
ground level, and a trained ear can easily detect the soundness of the pole
from feel and sound of the impact.  This is a wide spread way of doing
things in the utility industry in Alberta and is firmly approved by the
pole manufacturer as well.

The key issue is they don't want YOU doing it, but a trained employee
with appropriate training and protective apparel is part of the normal way
of doing things.

73 Don
VE6JY