RFI

[RFI] Update on the Boston area RFI

To: <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Update on the Boston area RFI
From: "Lee K7TJR" <k7tjr@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 14:24:04 -0800
    One of the tricks my power company interference guy uses is to rotate the
UHF yagi from horizontal
with the hi-wires to vertical and sweep the area. His comment to me was that
about 90% of the noise
he finds is due to problems with the ground wire and the neutral hi-line. The
last problem we found
 here was a guy wire back stay that was touching the neutral hi-line. I could
hear it over a mile away
and it would come and go with the environment.
  One of the first things I always do now is to very carefully inspect the
ground wiring with binoculars
 to see if there is any evidence of that wire touching any other metal objects
on the pole that are not bonded.
    Ultrasonic is the way to go when you get close in for most cases except
lightning arrestors,
 transformers, and underground wiring coming up inside the connection boxes.
  GL   Lee  K7TJR