RFI

[RFI] 200 khz AC line noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] 200 khz AC line noise
From: Aaron Kreider <aaron@campusactivism.org>
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 16:59:02 -0500
I've got constant hum/buzz that is strongest in the 150 khz - 250 khz area and is coming from the power lines. It is around S7 on my Drake R8 (with a low noise Wellbrook 1530+). On my noise antenna (a 6 foot horizontal wire) it was S9+10db (when using a triplite powerbar that isolated me from the AC noise) or S8 (when using a regular power bar that didn't isolate the radio from the AC and thus cancelled out the noise).

I went around my neighborhood testing 50+ power poles using a Tecsun PL-380 and holding it up to the ground line on the power pole. This is a portable shortwave radio with a digital dbu meter. The noise floor on the dbu meter is 15. About 20% of the poles showed no noise - possibly due to faulty grounds which meant I was too far from the noise to hear it. The rest of the poles ranged from around 30 dbu to 50 dbu. I was hoping to find a single pole or two that I could blame, so I could work with the utility to fix it. But I didn't detect any major patterns.

I'm wondering if my noise could be coming from multiple power poles?

Unfortunately the PECO power lines run through my property and thus it is very hard to get away from them, and they are impossible to null with full effectiveness (as they are on multiple sides). Even if I go up 10-20 feet over my roof line, I'll probably still hear the noise. The other downside of going up is that Wellbrook loop antenna's ability to receive low angle signals degrades when you go high.

Any advice?

Aaron