RFI

Re: [RFI] 200 khz AC line noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 200 khz AC line noise
From: Tom Prohigh <tomp@prohigh.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 14:05:42 -0500
On Sat, 2012-12-08 at 16:59 -0500, Aaron Kreider wrote: > I've got constant
hum/buzz that is strongest in the 150 khz - 250 khz > area and is coming
from the power lines. It is around S7 on my Drake R8 > (with a low noise
Wellbrook 1530+). On my noise antenna (a 6 foot > horizontal wire) it was
S9+10db (when using a triplite powerbar that > isolated me from the AC
noise) or S8 (when using a regular power bar > that didn't isolate the
radio from the AC and thus cancelled out the noise). > > I went around my
neighborhood testing 50+ power poles using a Tecsun > PL-380 and holding it
up to the ground line on the power pole. This is a > portable shortwave
radio with a digital dbu meter. The noise floor on > the dbu meter is 15.
About 20% of the poles showed no noise - possibly > due to faulty grounds
which meant I was too far from the noise to hear > it. The rest of the
poles ranged from around 30 dbu to 50 dbu.

> hoping to find a single pole or two that I could blame, so I could work >
with the utility to fix it. But I didn't detect any major patterns. > > I'm
wondering if my noise could be coming from multiple power poles? > >
Unfortunately the PECO power lines run through my property and thus it > is
very hard to get away from them, and they are impossible to null with >
full effectiveness (as they are on multiple sides). Even if I go up > 10-20
feet over my roof line, I'll probably still hear the noise. The > other
downside of going up is that Wellbrook loop antenna's ability to > receive
low angle signals degrades when you go high. > > > Any advice? > > Aaron

I live in PECO territory also.  Good luck getting PECO to do anything.  Do
you have an electronic meter?  I have not noticed any noise from it but
there may be a bad one near you.

Tom - AB3FL

Sent from my VZW Galaxy S3