RFI

Re: [RFI] Under-counter lighting that is quiet?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Under-counter lighting that is quiet?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 11:42:02 -0700
On 3/24/2013 11:10 AM, Tad Danley wrote:
Pete, mine uses incandescent bulbs - old school!

I have no experience with this, BUT -- LED lamps run on DC, so there must be a power supply, which is 99.9% certain to be a switcher, and VERY likely to be noisy. Before buying ANYTHING of this nature, I would set it up and listen very carefully under all operating conditions, including "off", using one of several portable ham rigs that can tune from the AM broadcast band through at least 10M.

I use my Kenwood TH-F6A 2M/220/440 talkie, which functions as a receiver from 500 kHz to 1 GHz. It isn't very sensitive, and it gets blown away by a nearby transmitter, but if you hold it next to a noise source, you'll certainly hear it.

The little all band QRP rigs that can run on batteries work fine for this too -- the Elecraft KX3 and the little Yaesu, and are a LOT more sensitive. That little Yaesu gets blown away by strong signals too, but not the KX3 -- it's about as good as the K3 at a fraction of the cost.

73, Jim K9YC