RFI

Re: [RFI] Fwd: RFI Identification Help

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fwd: RFI Identification Help
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 10:48:57 -0500
I use 2 tools to great advantage in my professional work as a utility RFI
investigator:  Tecsun PL660 and the National RF HFDF Vector Gun kit.

For the low-band SMPS noise sources, some folks may want to try a SDR-IQ receiver with the National HFDF and a notebook PC. This gives a good visual indication of the usual "multi-humped" noise signature over 190 kHz of spectrum. I find it useful to watch the spectrum as the noise source is being DF'ed. The SpectraVue software demods audio too so one can have both visual and audio cues.

The SDR-IQ is very small and can be strapped to the notebook lid with wide rubber bands. It's powered from the notebook's USB port. The set-up is pretty much as portable as having a small SW receiver. Power from the notebook is good for several hours but I keep a charged notebook battery ready as a back-up if needed. When the SDR-IQ is not being used for DF, it spends most of its time attached to my Elecraft K3 as a panadapter. While on foot, this setup allows for quick screen shot saving for comparison.. I like to first take a screen shot of the noise source in the shack where I initially see it, then compare results when going portable.

Probably there are other devices like a Softrock that can be used with a notebook PC for DF purposes where the entire receiver is on a USB stick.

Paul, W9AC