RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI Identification Help

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI Identification Help
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:33:20 -0800
"That also means shutting down computers and turning off any UPS that might
start up when the power drops."

Don't forget to remove batteries from everything you can.  Many times I've
been plagued by a sound only to find it's in a laptop, that's shut off, my
HT, shut off, but in standby mode with "soft start", digital cameras with
internal clocks, electronic watches, for example, my Glycine Airman, which
ironically wipes out reception on navigation RDF equipment, a new digital
voice recorder to record RFI, yep, produced so much RFI nothing else could
be heard...  My friend jumps in the car, her cell phone, which is OFF,
generates a God awful amount of RFI, the digital camera I use to photograph
damaged power pole equipment, it screams so much I have to turn off my
receivers...  I can clearly hear what my daughter listens to on her MP3
player across a couple hundred MHz...  There's a LOT more to disable than
just flipping a main breaker, unless, of course, your RFI is 60 Hz and
nothing else!

Kurt