RFI

Re: [RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router.

To: kgordon2006@frontier.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router.
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 15:28:18 -0500
Hi Kenith,

BTW I'm 74.

Lots of meat here and far to much to "line itemize"<:-))
Two thing stand out to me although several more appear to be related.

The two things, no, three things that bother me are Knob and Tube,

The problem goes away when the router is disconnected, but the CAT5 is still connected to the other computers without causing them grief

The failures appear to be random.

It appears from what you have said that there may be Knob and Tube connected to regular wiring. The biggest problem with Knob and Tube is one of polarization. It's very easy for the polarization to get crossed. Most of the time, cross polarization will not cause problems. (most of the time), but neutral is essentially ground. In those old houses polarization was more or less, "potluck" . That makes for an unpredictable system whose characteristics depend on what's turned on and what's plugged in. This "might" account for the random, or unpredictable failures and the problem of tripping GFI breakers that went away. .Did you have a heater plugged into one of those circuits. Another problem with Knob and tube is it's rare, but circuits sometimes actually do get crossed.

This takes me to the system works with the CAT5 unplugged from the router, yet still connected to the computers. You did say that one computer area "might" be connected into the old wiring. Just suppose that one of, or both of those computers is connected to an outlet that has the wrong polarization. A networked computer on cross polarization "might" be putting 120 VAC on the CAT5 to the router, or the computer to the router might be the cross polarized problem. This would also "likely" cause a LOT of RF between the cross polarized computer(s) and routers. The "problem" could also be coming from the router side.

I forgot to ask and you didn't say, but how is the voltage regulation. Those old systems were great for a load on one side pulling down the voltage and at the same time, driving up the other side.

So we've gained a couple more possibilities. Cross polarization and poor voltage regulation which "may" be dependent on what's plugged in or turned on.

A test would be to hook a single wire to the neutral in a plug going to a known outlet where hot and neutral are known and proper.and light bulb socket. Using neutral keeps you from holding onto a hot wire. (You never know it's hot until you touch a ground) Make the wire long enough to reach anywhere in the house, so hopefully you have a good outlet near the center. Put a female connector on the far end with short lead with a probe off the other pin. plug in a trouble light and check the neutral in all the outlets. Check the hot as well. You could use a volt meter instead of the light, but the light is quick. Bulb lights on a neutral and that outlet is the wrong polarization. You can also turn things on and off as well as plugging in appliances. You might have one with a short plugged into a cross polarized outlet. Plug light into outlet and it should light. Plug into wire and insert probe into neutral side. Should be nothing. Bulb lights = cross polarization, Bulb should light with probe in what should be the hot side.

The house I was raised in was 3 old farm houses mated into one reasonably sized one. Sounds awkward, but it looked looked like an old farm house. It too was a mix. Part was over a dug out "Michigan Basement" with a cistern. Most had an actual basement. My folks put in a driven well at roughly 90 feet. They went to indoor plumbing a bit before I arrived. Much of the house had Knob and tube, but "most of that was replaced early on.

Back then there were NO regulations or inspectors. If it didn't kill you or burn down, it must be good. "The Panel" was a big board with one, two, and four screw in fuse blocks, a couple of two cartridge fuse holders and a knife switch with 2 cartridge fuses. Seems like there was one single cartridge fuse holder hanging on a couple of wires. All open! The entire barn was powered out of that...somewhere<LOL> Wish I had a picture of that "panel"

The wiring in those old home can be like a can of worms

73 & good luck!

Roger (K8RI)