RFI

Re: [RFI] w7ekb & ground rods

To: W7EKB Ken Gordon <kgordon2006@frontier.com>, "K9YC Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "Rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] w7ekb & ground rods
From: D C _Mac_ Macdonald <k2gkk@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 16:45:19 -0600

DX Engineering carries flat copper tape.  I bought 25' to use divided into
thirds to taper connect each tower leg to a ground rod outside the concrete
foundation.  They also have special clamps for the tower legs AND 5/8" ground
rods that will resist corrosion.

Copper braid from coax will disintegrate from a lightning hit.  All those
copper strands add up to a whole lot of inductance and therefore, inductive
reactance and a huge voltage drop.  I have seen the little bit left of braid
shield after a tower has taken a strike!

* 73 - Mac, K2GKK/5 *
* (Since 30 Nov 53) *
* k2gkk hotmail com *
* Oklahoma City, OK *