RFI

Re: [RFI] LED lighting

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] LED lighting
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 00:12:28 -0400
Accelerated aging is complicated. What parts change with age, what change with temperature + and -. It's part science and part guessing game.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

On 7/27/2015 11:19 AM, qrv@kd4e.com wrote:
Does the ARRL perform aging-simulation tests?

Many of us have experienced heat-fatigue and/or vibration
fatigue failures in poorly-soldered connections - especially
since the era/error of lead-free solder - not to mention
poor quality components that fail early - these experiences
are across a variety of Chinese-built products.

The concern is that a new-off-the-shelf device may appear
fine vis-a-vis RFI today and become a nuisance a month or a
year down the road.

Just curious ... David KD4E

I bought one multi-LED bulb that came from China.  It was dead quiet.
My guess is that it simply put the LEDs in series and connected them
to the line.  Not all of them will have a switcher in them.

ARRL tested a number and found them to be below the conducted
emissions limits. I want to test them above 30 MHz too, for radiated
emissions, though we'd need to set up outdoors to prevent scatters
from throwing off the readings.

Ed Hare, W1RFI ARRL Laboratory Manager 225 Main St. Newington, CT
06111 Tel: (860) 594-0318 Fax: (860) 594-0259 Email: W1RFI@arrl.org
Member: IEEE Connecticut Section Member: IEEE EMC Society, Board of
Directors Member: IEEE EMC Society Standards Development and
Education Committee Primary representative:  ANSI ASC C63 EMC
Committee, Vice Chair Subcommittee 5 (Immunity) Member: QRP Amateur
Radio Club International, Board of Directors

---