RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 17:25:46 -0700
On Sun, 2016-09-25 at 20:09 -0400, thoyer wrote:
> Last week we had a day or so of rain and the noise was 40 over on most
> bands. It was reduced the following day as we dried out and was
> totally gone by the third day. It has been dry the last week so what I
> captured today was not due to wet conditions.

Although I would expect the behavior to be opposite, (quiet during rain,
and noise when dry), I'd grab a three element beam on 2 Meters, AM, and
start pointing it at the poles closest to your house...  Find the
loudest pole, and you probably have located your source...

Be sure to look at the houses that the pole feeds with the beam as well,
just in case it is coincidence that the RFI comes and goes with rain...

I did a locate two weeks ago, using the MFJ three element antenna they
sell, and after about 10 minutes, located the pole...  The power company
arrived a week or so later, confirmed, and replaced a few insulators,
and the RFI is gone now...

--
73's, and thanks,
Dave (NK7Z)