RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 00:56:13 -0700
On Mon,9/26/2016 12:29 AM, Hare, Ed W1RFI wrote:
<Does the searcher have an open mind?>

I can't begin to say how important this is.

YES, YES, YES!

One of the greatest "mind opening" tools is a spectrum display of the noise. Here's my take on it. (And as I learn more stuff, I will add to it.) That's more of the open mind.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

But also check out the really neat stuff that NK7Z has been doing with an SDRPlay ($130) that goes up to 2 GHz.

http://nk7z.net/sdr-for-rfi-survey-p1/

Dave uses the SDRPlay with HDSDR software running on his PC to capture 24 hours of noise on multiple bands. The resulting data, graphically presented, show him the relationships between noise on multiple frequencies, whether the noise is electronically generated or is power line noise, when it starts and stops through the day, whether it's frequency stable (a microprocessor clock) or unstable (a SMPS or a variable speed drive motor control).

This is REALLY valuable information -- it identifies the generic type of noise so you have some idea of what you're looking for, and knowing that type, know how to SEARCH for it.

Also, ALWAYS assume that you could be hearing more than one noise source. You might have a bad insulator on a power pole AND a battery charger in yours (or your neighbor's) garage. I'm estimating that the average home has at least 30 electronic noise sources of varying severity. Again, spectrum analysis helps.

73, Jim K9YC