RFI

Re: [RFI] "No RFI" LED bulbs

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] "No RFI" LED bulbs
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 16:25:57 -0700
I suspect the RFI problem is caused by a poor quality power supply, or the use of AC to drive the LED directly. I've used a lot of the LED strips that Wired Communications sells at hamfests, mostly in the western US. I use five of them to light my shack, powering them from the 12V battery that is float-charged from a linearly supply.

Last month, I mounted two strips on a shelf to light the area around my computer desk, and, by accident, grabbed a 12VAC wall wart (in other words, just a transformer) to power them. The RF noise was VERY strong. Replaced the transformer with a 12VDC linear supply and the noise went away.

Of course, a switch-mode power supply would also generate noise.

73, Jim K9YC