RFI

Re: [RFI] SO2R and 2nd harmonic

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] SO2R and 2nd harmonic
From: Matt NQ6N <matt@nq6n.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 12:22:48 -0500
Jim, Frank and others,

I have read with interest the thread on RF Flooding with interest as I have
had some of the symptoms described: "rise up floor noise
level about 60 khz on each side from main harmonic frequency.".

When listening on the 2nd radio, if I transmit on the first radio the noise
floor rises to the point where strong signals are difficult to copy amid
the increased noise.

I have some questions about debugging a possible RF Flooding scenario:

- The problem for me seems to occur only when using the amplifier.  I can
power up to 100W using batteries but do not have a way to turn off the
mains at high power to easily eliminate other household wall warts.  Is
there a way to simulate the same effect using lower power?  Will closer
spacing or other frequencies reflect the problem more obviously so that I
might find it using 100W?

- Can you recommend any ways to utilize a broadband SDR such as an SDRPlay
to help determine if the issue is RF Flooding or simply typical harmonic
inter-station interference?  Or any tips on using a KX2 handheld to walk
around "sniffing" for problematic devices or wall warts?

- Seemingly RF Flooding would not be helped much by stubs or bandpass
filters if the desired transmitted signal is interacting with a wall wart.
Thus it would seem that adding or removing stubs meant to filter the second
harmonic would not be likely to reduce RF flooding from a wall wart that
was being excited by the desired signal.   Is this intuition correct?

- How does one differentiate between transmitted broadband phase noise and
RF flooding?  Are there signal characteristics that can help differentiate
the two?

- I generally use LMR400 Flex coax in the shack and LMR400 once the coax
gets outside.  How much impact is the leakage in the shielding of this coax
likely to have on my inter-station interference?  At present, six runs of
it run in a bundle along the ceiling from the output of the amplifier in
the operating position over to the place where the coax leaves the shack.
 Once outside the shack, each line has a loop in it and all of the loops
sit adjacent to one another near the box/panel where the coax enters the
building.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

73,
Matt NQ6N