RFI

Re: [RFI] Xfinity Router RFI (Xfinity router name XB3)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Xfinity Router RFI (Xfinity router name XB3)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 18:39:13 -0800
On 2/12/2020 6:18 PM, Don Kirk wrote:
If the replacement router does not fix the problem then
Mike will test a toroid core choke as well as a corcom type filter on the
wireless router power cord.

It's ALWAYS a good idea to put a suitable ferrite choke on any wiring connected to a noise source -- it's usually those wires that radiate the noise. And that includes the AC line cord or DC power cable. For 15M, I'd start with three turns on a medium-size #31 clamp-on, and I'd do the same with any Ethernet cables.

If you haven't already done so, I'd try to shift the network to WiFi, so that the only cables are the power supplies, the cable between the modem and the router, and the DSL or internet cable feeding the modem.

Lots of detailed advice on my website in the piece about increasing contest scores by killing noise. k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC