RFI

Re: [RFI] Power Line Noise

To: jwin95@yahoo.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power Line Noise
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 17:16:13 -0500
On 4/16/2020 17:02, AA5CT wrote:
re: "I went out today to track down a noise source, which on the
HF bands appears to be coming from the east. "

Scott, I give you even money odds that you found ANOTHER noise
source on VHF, and not the one that was affecting you on HF (unless
you already got it fixed, and that was it, in which case I lose hi hi).

I doubt it. This source is just too incredibly loud at 135 MHz and close (maybe 300 feet from the antenna) that it can't possibly NOT be causing HF interference. I agree with your point, though. When tracking at VHF, I always hear lots of sources that are not the one causing the HF problem. I deal with that by relaying the noise from the HF receiver at home so that I can hear it while I'm out tracking. There is always a pattern to the fluctuations. When I find that they match, I know I've got the right source. This is the same principle as taking the "noise signature", without the expensive equipment. It has served me well.

I didn't bother this time because the source is so ridiculously strong on VHF right out my front door.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA