RFI

Re: [RFI] Power Line Noise

To: "Michael Martin, RFI Services" <mike@rfiservices.com>, K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Power Line Noise
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 05:07:46 +0000
This is a key point, Mike.  Many noise sources that might be very strong when
you are right on top of them are not heard at all at the amateur station.  This
is why the signature method is the only really efficient way to identify the
actual soure of an interference problem.

Some hams get in their cars, drive around and find noise sources and assume
that they are all causing them part of their inferference.  This is not usually
the case.  Others truly do go on a crusade, feeling that if they force the
utility to fix all the noise on their system, their noise environment will be
quieter.  Some mistakenly think that any noise source they can hear 3 feet away
under a pole is breaking FCC rules and so must be fixed.  All of these premises
are flawed.

There is one very big risk in finding dozens of noise sources and demanding
that the utility fix them all.  The utlity may fix a few of them, if they
aren't the one(s) you are hearing, they will often conclude that you are never
going to be satisfied, so they may stop working on your case.  If your case
then gets to the FCC, the utility will defend itself and say that it fixed
noise sources, but you still have interference, so it must be from a
non-utility source (and, if you don't have signature confirmation, that could
very well be the case.)

FCC rules do not require them to fix every noise source.  The rules set NO
specific limits on indidential emitters, but only require that noise sources be
corrected if they are causing harmful interference to licensed radio users.

The bottom line is that it is important that the correct source(s) be
identified and that you only ask the utlity to fix noises that are actually the
one(s) causing interference.  Any other approach runs the risk of getting your
case into an attorney letter-writing campaign that the FCC may well accept,
making it all the harder for you to re-prove your case again and again.

Ed, W1RFI