RFI

Re: [RFI] Dimmer Behavior

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Dimmer Behavior
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 05:27:45 +0000
Jim and All,

My house was built in 2000 and has several Lutron dimmers in it (all 3
bedrooms, living room, family room).  I have never had RFI from any of the
dimmers, largely because I do not use any LED bulbs or fixtures.  All bulbs on
dimmers are true incandescent.  The primary reason I am sensitive about having
LED bulbs in the house is the fact that I am an active listener to AM
broadcast.  For example, I listen to WBBM-AM in Chicago (780 kHz) when eating
breakfast each day.  (I am in eastern Iowa and Chicago is about 170 air-miles
from the AM stations there.)  I use an RCA (formerly GE) Super Radio II for the
job (integral ferrite bar antenna and tuned RF front end for best sensitivity).
 I tried some LED bulbs and they wiped out reception by that radio and others
that were "hot" enough to pull in Chicago stations during daytime.

Most of my fixed (non-dimmable) lamp fixtures use CFLs or regular fluorescent
tubes (I have 18 such tubes in my shack and workshop).  The CFLs save energy
and do not cause me any RFI on the ham bands, but they are getting tough to
find.  I buy mine from eBay or Amazon.  I do live on acreage with my HF
antennas around 100 to 300 feet away from the house.  I doubt that LEDs would
interfere with my ham antennas, but I will not tolerate RFI to the AM b'cast
band.  (Note that the FCC is tying to "salvage" AM b'casting using a variety of
"tricks" that are not likely to help.  They seem to ignore the mess they
created when they allowed so many devices to emit too much garbage in the
band.)

Jim, my thanks to you for your never ending publishing of ways to reduce RFI
and EMI.  However, when it comes to noise sources, we both know that the best
cure is to eliminate or reduce the emissions from the source.

73, Dale
WA9ENA
Retired EMC engineer