[RTTY] Re: non guru comments

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re: non guru comments
From: jflanders2@home.com (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 16:52:11 -0400
I don't think you are taking a chance by simply downloading a file. I
believe you have to actually execute the file, or allow another program to
execute it (WORD and some other Microsoft programs will execute
instructions meant specifically for it, for instance) in order to suffer
damage of any kind.

I think there is no harm done in downloading any virus or worm containing
programs as long as they are not allowed to take control of your machine.
What is the basis for your statement "anytime you download a file... ...you
take a chance" I have never heard this before.

I bought this new p4 HP machine a month ago and it crashed 2-3 times per
day until I researched google groups and discovered others were having
trouble with the McAfee virus program that came with it. I disabled virus
protection and have had only one crash in the three weeks since. It runs 24/7.

Jerry W4UK