Virus protection (was: Re: NOW ON WEB Re: [RTTY] Results of ...)

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Virus protection (was: Re: NOW ON WEB Re: [RTTY] Results of ...)
From: dk3vn@arcormail.de (Waldemar DK3VN)
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 00:20:02 +0200
David Fister wrote:

> And that makes the questions for all you computer gurus:
> What antivirus do you use for checking mail. I am on the way to buy one.
> I was thinking about Norton Antivirus (maybe not??)
> Please reply direct and I will post summary.
>
> David S51MM

Hello David,

as a private person, save your money. Each virus scanner *MUST* know the
pattern (fingerprint) of a virus. If the scanner don't know it, then the
scanner is "blind". Of course each good scanner knows thousands of different
patterns (old ones). If someone in this world creates a new virus and
"deliver" it, then a scanner can detect this virus, if the scanner knows
the pattern (fingerprint) of this *NEW* virus.

Here we have a principle problem. You don't know the pattern of a virus
*BEFORE* the virus is created! That means, no scanner is up to date!

No scanner can protect you against a *NEW* virus, only against the *OLD*
ones! The company, which sells a scanner, *MUST* have a copy of the virus,
to find the virus typical pattern (fingerprint). Only then this company
can distribute this information (pattern/fingerprint) to their customers.

The best protection for a private person is, to ignore each attachment!
Open an attachment only, if you are knowing, what you are doing!

73 de Waldemar, DK3VN
--
Check RWRL on  http://www.qsl.net/dk3vn   mailto:dk3vn@darc.de
German DX Foundation #207  http://www.gdxf.de