[RTTY] keyed AFSK? - was: Best RTTY rig?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] keyed AFSK? - was: Best RTTY rig?
From: jmerrill1@adelphia.net (John L Merrill)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 07:02:05 -0500
When you supply a rtty keying signal to the Yaesu, you are essentially
toggling between ground and open, which in a Yaesu toggles two audio tones.
This is similar to supplying  afsk tones to the mic connector from an
external source, such as a KAM or sound card using MMTTY, but the Yaesu does
this internally. In an ICOM and some Kenwoods the  keying input actually
shifts the carrier. I'm not sure that's very clear but I hope you get the
idea. If you look at the FT1000MP/990/MarkV/1000D specifications it will say
afsk for transmit. I may be wrong, but I dont think any recent Yaesu rig
ever used "FSK".